What is Composite Decking?
Unlike wood decks that are made only of wood, composite decks (also called composite wood decking or composite lumber decking) are made of wood fibers encased in plastic. It has become increasingly common over the years as homeowners learn the downfalls of traditional wood decking such as splintering, decomposition, rot, and other issues that make wood a more high-maintenance option.
What are the Benefits of a Composite Wood Deck?
As previously mentioned, wood decking can be very high-maintenance and costly. Composite wood decking has a variety of benefits that make it worth the investment:
>It doesn’t absorb moisture. Though not waterproof, composite decking is water-resistant–it does not absorb moisture, rather water will sit on the surface until it dries.
>It’s less demanding. Wood decks require consistent maintenance. Instead of resealing the deck annually, like with wood, you can get several years of use out of a composite deck before it needs to be refinished.
>It won’t splinter. An especially safe option for those with outdoor pets, a wood-plastic deck will not splinter.
Though it has many benefits, a composite deck is not immune to weather and the elements—it will still deteriorate over time.
What Causes Composite Decking to Deteriorate?
>Fading. Probably the most common issue with composite decks is fading. After some constant sun exposure, the color of the deck will lighten.
>Mold. A big complaint about composite decks is their tendency to grow mold. Though it won’t grow mold on the inside of the planks like a traditional wood deck might, its resistance to absorbing moisture leaves water in the cracks and crevices of your deck, creating the perfect breeding ground for mold.
>Stains. Though they are stain-resistant, composite decks can still be stained. Try to deal with stains as soon as possible, but if they just won’t come out, they can easily be removed with a thorough deck cleaning.
Composite Decking Restoration Procedure:
- Purchase a high-quality cleaner that is safe for use on composite decks. Deck Wash is an exceptional chemical that is specifically intended for the removal of grime without causing damage to the surface.
- Dilute the chemical. Mix 3 parts hot water with 1 part Deck Wash.
- Apply the solution to the surface. Use a low-pressure sprayer to coat your surface with the Deck Wash solution.
- Let the solution work. Leave your chemicals on for 5-10 minutes to allow penetration of all dirt and stains.
- Rinse thoroughly. Use a pressure washer to completely rinse Deck Wash off of the surface.