Cleaning a truck or any large vehicle can be a tedious task, especially when road film has developed and requires removal. Road film occurs when a vehicle with a large surface area is on the road extensively, creating a layer of dirt and contaminants that get magnetically stuck onto the surface through an electrostatic bond. Because road film can be extremely difficult to remove, a good truck washing soap will require aggressive cleaning and degreasing properties.
What Chemicals Are in Good Truck Washing Soap?
Chemicals in a reliable soap can be either acidic or alkaline. Acidic compounds are usually used for the removal of inorganic substances and minerals, while alkaline solutions target organic substances like grease and certain soils.
As a rule of thumb, it’s good to use both separately in order to combine the benefits of each. Some examples of common acidic chemicals used include:
- Citric acid – Ideal for removing paint oxidation and stains. This effective, eco-friendly acid is also generally safe to work with.
- Hydrofluoric acid – Ideal for aluminum brightening and paint oxidation removal. Though corrosive, this acid is reliable and cost-effective.
- Phosphoric acid – Ideal for aluminum brightening and paint oxidation removal.
Alkaline chemicals are also present in many truck soaps:
- Sodium Hydroxide – Highly effective for the removal of grease, oil and carbon-based soil.
- Potassium Hydroxide – More stable alternative for sodium hydroxide, but still effective for degreasing and removal of organic materials.
Generally, truck soaps will consist of a blend of multiple acidic or alkaline compounds. Ideally, it will also be non-flammable and compatible with pressure washers or even vapor degreasers.
Interested in Effective Truck Washing Chemicals?
Tidal Washers provides companies with industrial-strength cleaning products for various applications. Our Touchless Truck & Trailer cleaning system is ideal for washing and degreasing trucks, trailers, RVs, tractors, and even mobile homes.
Want to know if our products are right for your industrial cleaning needs? Reach out to our expert team today!